Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Plateau of Gergovie

This warm, sunny morning Lauris and I joined the IWC randonée group in a 9.5 km hike from Romagnat to the Plateau of Gergovie. I have had it on my to do list to hike with the group for a while, but each week as I read the descriptions I always thought to myself “that seems a little far to carry Lauris” or “I don’t want to slow down the rest of the ladies.” But last Thursday at the monthly IWC meeting I spoke to several regulars who assured me that I would never know if I can do it if I don’t try, and a few brave souls even volunteered to carry my now-X-teen kilogram Lauris if I tired! So the die was cast, and with everything pre-packed the night before, including sandwiches, all I had to do this morning was eat breakfast and drive on out to the meeting place in Romagnat.

The gentle ascent to the plateau


The Plateau of Gergovie is thought to have been the location of the Battle of Gergovie between Vercingetorix and Julius Caesar in 52 BC (although this is now in dispute). Along with gorgeous views, at the top there is also a large monument, a museum and a café. The change in elevation from Romagnat to the plateau is about 270 meters, and although the trails are clearly marked, some turns are relatively easy to miss; I suggest a good trail guide or map to take along on the hike.

The monument on the Plateau dedicated to Vercingetorix, by Jean Teillard, 1903
I did manage to carry Laurīts all the way in his backpack carrier with a short break at the top. He was quite content in his carrier, the weather was beautiful and there was plenty for him to look at including cows, horses and chickens. I’ve found that it helps if I keep a steady supply of Cheerios ready, and he even tasted a cherry from one of the trees along the path after mom deemed them ripe and tasty. Thanks to the ladies for offering to take turns carrying him, I may have to take you up on your offer in the future; I believe the two of us will be joining you again in more of the weekly faire de randonées!

The fearless hikers!

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic day! And of course the sun and all those cheerios helped :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...